For Immediate Release – Jan. 9, 2020
Contact: Seth Gladstone – [email protected], 917.363.6615
Washington, D.C. – The national environmental organization Food & Water Action announced its first batch of Congressional endorsements today, backing six candidates who are bold leaders committed to taking on the most pressing public health, environmental and climate challenges of our time. The organization has endorsed four Democratic challengers taking on Democratic incumbents: Jessica Cisneros (TX-28), Morgan Harper (OH-3), Adam Scow (CA-20) and Arati Kreibich (NJ-5); and two Democrats challenging Republican incumbents: J.D. Scholten (IA-4) and Kara Eastman (NE-2). All the endorsed candidates have committed to supporting a national ban on fracking and halting new fossil fuel infrastructure, supporting a strong Green New Deal, and co-sponsoring the WATER Act – a critical federal bill that would improve our crippled water infrastructure.
None of the incumbents being challenged by these endorsed candidates support a ban on fracking or have co-sponsored the WATER Act.
In announcing the endorsements, Food & Water Action Managing Political Director Mark Schlosberg issued the following statement:
“To avoid the worst of climate chaos and ensure all Americans have access to safe food and clean public water, we need champions in Congress who strongly advocate for these priorities. We need bold leaders that not only acknowledge the problems but will fight for solutions that actually rise to the level of those challenges. That’s just what this slate of candidates will do, and we’re thrilled to endorse these public health and environmental champions for Congress.”
The endorsements are as follows:
- California 20th where Adam Scow is challenging incumbent Democratic Rep. Jimmy Panetta;
- Iowa 4th where J.D. Scholten is running to replace Republican Rep. Steve King;
- Nebraska 2nd where Kara Eastman is running to replace Republican Rep. Don Bacon;
- New Jersey 5th where Arati Kreibich is challenging incumbent Democratic Rep. Josh Gottheimer;
- Ohio 3rd where Morgan Harper is challenging incumbent Democratic Rep. Joyce Beatty;
- Texas 28th where Jessica Cisneros is challenging incumbent Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar.
Food & Water Action mobilizes people to build political power to move bold and uncompromised solutions to the most pressing food, water and climate problems of our time. We work to protect people’s health, communities and democracy from the growing destructive power of the most powerful economic interests.