Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy
Code of Conduct
To ensure a safe, respectful environment, we expect members of the Food & Water Volunteer Network to follow the rules of conduct laid out below — we hold our staff to the same standards. Although it is not possible to list all the forms of behavior that are considered unacceptable, the following are some examples of unacceptable conduct:
- Disruptive behavior in shared spaces (in-person or online meetings, slack, social media etc.)
- Disrespectful conduct, e.g., shouting; using abusive language and/or intimidating behavior, non-constructive criticism; intentionally conveying false information about another individual; breaching the confidentiality of another member of the community; intentional misgendering (read more about using preferred pronouns here); or perpetuating micro-aggressions, i.e. small, subtle, often subconscious actions that marginalize people from oppressed groups
- Inability or refusal to work in harmony or cooperation with fellow community members
- Exhibiting behavior that intentionally causes friction, conflict or the lowering of group morale
- Use of profane or abusive language or gestures at/to other members of the community
- Violation of safety or health rules
- Sexual or other unlawful harassment
- Unauthorized disclosure of confidential information (e.g. contact information about Food & Water Watch/Action members)
- Fighting, engaging in or contributing to violent behavior or threatening violence to others
- Negligence or improper conduct leading to damage of FWW-, FWA-, volunteer- or ally-owned property
We are committed to providing an environment that is free from all forms of discrimination and conduct that can be considered harassing, coercive, or disruptive, including sexual harassment. Actions, words, jokes, or comments based on an individual’s sex, gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected characteristic will not be tolerated. Sexual harassment is defined as unwanted sexual advances, or visual, verbal, or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
Anyone who does not abide by the Code of Conduct and Anti-Harassment Policy laid out here will be promptly asked to leave and removed from communication channels within this community.
If you experience or witness harassment or other violations of this code of conduct while engaging in Food & Water Volunteer Network activities, report it by emailing [email protected].