Food & Water Action is committed to transparency in how it uses your personal information.We do not require you to provide any information at all to use most basic features of our websites. There are certain activities and areas of the site that will require you to provide personal information, such as:
- Taking an action through Food & Water Action on one of our campaigns
- Signing up to receive emails from us
- Making a donation
Food & Water Action 1616 P Street NW Suite 300 Washington, D.C. 20036
Voluntary Information We Collect
Why does Food & Water Action collect certain personal information?We collect information to help us better meet your needs and to improve our programs. Our reasons for collecting personal information include:
- Internal record keeping
- To carry out activities where personal information is required, such as advocacy actions
- To communicate with you according to your preferences (by email, mail, SMS or phone)
- To provide you with content that is relevant to you; for example, information about legislation in your state
What information does Food & Water Action collect?We only collect personal information from our visitors when it is supplied to us voluntarily. Certain activities on our website (described in further detail below) may require you to provide information such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, or may ask you to submit written comments. If you do not wish to share the required information with Food & Water Action, do not participate in these activities. The following are examples of how we may use your personal information when you engage in common activities on our website:
- When you sign up to join our main email list or provide us with your email address, we will have a record of your email address and any other information you choose to provide. We will send you email about action alerts to protect our food and water, fundraising campaigns, and other Food & Water Action activities. You can opt out of these emails at any time (see details below).
- When you make an online donation to Food & Water Action, your information will be added to our donor list and database, and you may be contacted about other Food & Water Action activities, news, action alerts, and/or fundraising campaigns. Food & Water Action may rent our donor list (mail addresses, only) to like-minded organizations. This gives you the opportunity to learn about related activities of other nonprofit organizations. If you do not wish to have your mail contact information shared in this manner, please contact us at info(at)fwwatch(dot)org. Food & Water Action will not share your email address or credit card information with other organizations.
- When you take an advocacy action such as sending a message to your elected representatives, government officials or other targets of Food & Water Action advocacy, we will keep a record of the information you submit and will send your message to these recipients, along with the contact information you provide, such as your name, address, phone number, and email address. Food & Water Action is not responsible for what these recipients may do with your information. Please note that officials receiving these emails may choose to contact you. Government agencies may add the names of people who submit comments on government proposals into public documents recording feedback on a given proposal. This is often a part of the government process for receiving and recording feedback from the public. Government agencies typically have strict guidelines around not misusing information provided to them by the public for other purposes. However, you should review the policies of the appropriate government body if you are concerned.
- We may store and use any other voluntary information you choose to provide. We will use it in a manner consistent with the examples above, and we will never sell your personal information.
- When you provide us with your landline or mobile phone number, we may contact you through phone call or text message to let you know about opportunities to get involved in our work. You may opt out of these communications at any time.
Does Food & Water Action rent, share, sell or trade my email address or phone number?No. Food & Water Action will not give, rent, sell or share your email address or information about your online activities with other organizations, except as specifically required to carry out the given action you requested. For example, if you send a message through our systems to your U.S. Senators, your message will be sent to them from your email address. We may also occasionally send you emails on behalf of reputable advocacy organizations, but will not provide them with your email address unless you choose to give them that information. All above categories exclude text messaging originator opt-in data and consent; this information will not be shared with any third parties.
Does Food & Water Action rent, share, sell or trade my mailing address?No. We do not rent, share, sell or trade information about what activities or donations supporters have undertaken on our website. Occasionally we do make names and postal addresses of select donors available to reputable advocacy, environmental, and animal rights organizations. If you are a Food & Water Watch or Food & Water Action donor and you do NOT wish to have your information exchanged with other organizations, please call us at the number below to speak to one of our staff about your preferences. If you are not a Food & Water Action donor, your information will not be exchanged.
Financial Information You May Choose to ProvideIf you choose to make an online donation to Food & Water Action, you will have to provide your credit card billing information. The credit card information that you provide at the time of donation is used only to process your donation and will not be stored or used by us for any other purposes. We will store other information about the details of your transaction for our records.
How do I know my credit card information is secure?Food & Water Action works with Blackbaud, Inc. to process our donations. Blackbaud, Inc. uses secure server software (SSL) that is the industry standard for secure commerce transactions. It encrypts all of your personal information, including credit card number, name and address, so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet. We do not store your credit card information once your transaction has been processed.
Other Ways We Use Personal InformationFood & Water Action works with our sister organization, Food & Water Watch. Both organizations may contact you in a manner consistent with that described above and below in this data usage policy. You should be aware that we use third-party vendors to provide services on this site and in our offline business operations. The information that you submit on this site may be provided to those vendors on a confidential basis so that those vendors can provide services (such as maintaining our database, sending e-mail messages to activists, facilitating our fundraising activities and campaigns, or processing credit card transactions) on our behalf. Other than as described in this data usage policy, or as may be necessary to protect the rights, property, and safety of our organization or others, or as may be necessary to comply with applicable law, Food & Water Action will not give, share or sell the personal information you provide online.
Managing Your Personal Information
How to unsubscribe from receiving emailsIf for any reason you would like to stop receiving future emails from us:
- Click the “Unsubscribe” or “Click here to stop receiving emails” links that are included in every email
- Send us an email at info(at)fwwatch(dot)org and ask us to unsubscribe you from our email list